Introducing the Free the Bears Laos program
Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre (TKS)
Free the Bears operates world-class bear rescue centres in Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. Our Laos centre is about 30 kilometres South of Luang Prabang at the foot of the Kuang Si falls, a beautiful 50 meter high waterfall with a group of turquoise pools set in the tropical rain forest.
Many of the bears at the Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre were destined for bile farms or to be harvested for parts to put for sale on the illegal market. Since Free the Bears established themselves in Laos in 2003 we have been working with the Luang Prabang Provincial Agriculture and Forestry Office to create a safe haven for these victims from the illegal trade.
Tragic origins aside, the bears are now swinging in hammocks, playing with tires and generally living a fulfilling life in a special place made just for them. In December 2017 we celebrated our 50th rescue and we are planning to on many more!
- 9:30AM arrive on site. You will be welcomed by a Free the Bears team member at our information stand.
- 10-10:45 Help the Bear Care Team prepare enrichment toys and food for the bears
- 11am Help the keepers hide food in the bear's forest enclosures and watch them enjoy the fruits of your labor.
- 11:30AM The bears go out as you watch them search for their food. Educational talk + Q&A
- 12:00PM Finish
- The minimum age for participants is 12 years old. Participants under 16years of age have to be accompanied by a guardian.
- The minimum number of participants for this activity is 2people, the maximum number of participants is 8people.
- Please be aware that participants are required to have international accident and travel insurance to be allowed to join this activity.
Please note that the feeding times are set. This means that if there is any delay in the arrival of your tour it is possible the guests can not take part in this activity.
- Please check in at the Free the Bears team member information stand before 9:30am
- It takes about 1 hour by motorbike or Tuktuk from Luang Prabang to Kuang Si waterfall.
- Entrance fee of the Kuang Si waterfall is not included. It's 20,000 kips ($3) per person.
- Lunch is not included
*** The price is US$ 125.19 for a group up to 6 people. You will have to pay for this price event if it's just you.