Experience Moon Bear Conservation as a bear-keeper, helping out staff in their daily routines
Understand about the plight of the bears and conservation efforts in Laos
Enjoy a close up and intimate experience with the staff and bears
Educational Talk by Free the bears team
Tour of the facility inside
Assist Staff in hiding food inside the bear's enclosure for them to find and eat later
Not Inclusive of:
Pickup & Dropoff
Food and drinks
$US 26.00per guest
4 - 8 guests
Cancellation Policy: Moderate
Full refund available for cancellations made up to 24 hours prior to booking start time.
More About This Experience
Introducing the Free the Bears Laos program
Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre (TKS)
Free the Bears operates world-class bear rescue centres in Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. Our Laos centre is about 30 kilometres South of Luang Prabang at the foot of the Kuang Si falls, a beautiful 50 meter high waterfall with a group of turquoise pools set in the tropical rain forest.
Many of the bears at the Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre were destined for bile farms or to be harvested for parts to put for sale on the illegal market. Since Free the Bears established themselves in Laos in 2003 we have been working with the Luang Prabang Provincial Agriculture and Forestry Office to create a safe haven for these victims from the illegal trade.
Tragic origins aside, the bears are now swinging in hammocks, playing with tires and generally living a fulfilling life in a special place made just for them. 2018 was the busiest year yet for the Laos team, who rescued 13 bears, compared to 10 in 2017. 2019 is sure to be just as busy!
Half Day – Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre
• 10:15-10:30AM - Arrive to Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre* (transport at own arrangement). A FTB Education team member will meet you at our information area and give an introduction to the history and work of Free the Bears.
• 10:30-11:15AM - Tour of the sanctuary and hear some of our bears stories. Also includes a chance to visit bears in enclosures behind the scenes.
• 11:15AM - Help the keepers hide food in the bear’s forest enclosures**. Watch the bears search for their food.
• 12:00PM – Tour ends.
*The entrance fee to the Tat Kuang Si Falls and Protected Area is not issued by Free the Bears, but by the Tourism Office. We do not benefit from the entrance fee, nor do we have the authority to waive the fee for Free the Bears visitors or volunteers. The 20,000kip fee must be covered by all groups visiting.
**Please note that the feeding times are set. This means that if there is any delay in the arrival of your tour it is possible the guests cannot take part in this activity.
• The maximum number of participants is 20 people.
• Please be aware that participants are required to have international accident and travel insurance to be allowed to join this activity.
• The minimum age for participants is 12 years old. Participants under 16 years of age have to be accompanied by a guardian.
Cancellations MUST sent by email as a confirmation. Any cancellations received without the minimum of a 7 day notice will be charged with 50% of the total your payment for the cancelled group.
Please note that transport is not provided for this tour so please check-in at the Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre before 10.15am.
Please check in at the free the Bears information stand before 9:30am
Wear trekking shoes
Wear comfortable clothes
Bring your own drinking water
Pick-up location: Exact pick-up location address along with map direction will be sent to your email instantly after booking
The pick-up location address will be sent to your email immediately upon booking.
In collaboration with the Laos Department of Forestry, construction of the Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre in Luang Prabang began in 2003. In 2009 the second bear house was constructed at Tat Kuang Si.
In 2013, t...