Legend has it that some of the early Spanish priests were compelled to train the locals of Mactan to repair their guitars as the only other option was to either send the guitars back to Spain/Mexico or ship new ones to the Philippines. The rest as they say, is history as guitar crafters of Cebu are known the world over with various guitar maestros even custom ordering their guitars from families/crafters to whom the skills have been passed from several generations.
As a result of the locals of Mactan becoming adept at making guitars, the natural progression was to venture towards other string instruments and thus over time ukuleles, banjos and violins have been added to their repertoire of skills, so much so that some of the best handcrafted ukuleles in the world today are made in the Philippines and much of it is actually exported to Hawaii and Japan. In most guitar workshops around Cebu, it will be a family affair not just for the owners of the business but also the crafters who actually make the guitars. And it is the same for our host too, he is the third generation working at the same workshop and what's even more surprising is that he works alongside his grandfather and father in crafting beautiful guitars and ukuleles.
The process of making the Ukelele in this workshop will have the kit prepared for you and the primary processes involved will be in stringing, chiseling, sawing and gluing the parts together. It may sound simple but the trick is in the accuracy of the finishings that will determine whether the ukelele looks the part and more importantly, sounds the part too.
1. This activity will take place in active workshop where there will be several others working there catering to their orders, as such, there will be movement of heavy and sharp objects around the workshop and we require you to be cautious when moving about the workshop.
2. It will be noisy in there too so if you're sensitive to loud sounds like hammering then please bring along ear plugs.
3. Because most of the work is on wood and there is fair bit of sawing involved, there will be saw dust, and while we will provide face masks this is something you should note if you're sensitive to it.
4. Sharp tools and glue will also be used for this workshop.
If you're staying in Mactan then do let us know and we will set the pick up location nearer to your hotel. If you're staying in Cebu City or Mandaue then the pick up location will be SM Mall and the transport time is approximately an hour (depending on traffic).
1. There is local lunch from "Carenderia" (local eateries) included in this activity.
2. If you want to make this tour exclusive for you, kindly choose from the add-on the exclusive tour.
3. The cost and duration of this booking covers the sandpaper finish of the Ukulele. If you would like to have your Ukulele varnished, this would add at least 1 more hour and additional costs to the Tour Facilitator and the Host. Kindly select add-on below for "Varnish Finish".